Saturday, May 16, 2009

Building a Dolls' House For Your Grandchildren

Dolls' House Building: A Magnificent Obsession

When I was a child it was just after the war and materials were in short supply. I didn't have many toys - and don't think I missed them, since I became an obsessive reader and never had my nose out of a book. An exception was when I was in London with my godmother, who took me to museums.

The day I saw that great big, gorgeous dolls house, which had belonged to Queen Mary, was a milestone - one I have never forgotten. I was completely entranced by the wonderfully detailed furniture, the little people, the wallpapers - all in 1/12 scale. How I loved it. I suppose I must have been about 8 when I fell.

Then I hit my teens, got into rock'n roll, (no sex and drugs for me!) studied for my exams and forgot about the dolls' house.

At forty I was ready to have another go. But this time I knew that I wanted to build a dolls' house. Not a dolls' house from a dollhouse kit, but one from plans, cutting the wood myself and truly being in charge of it all. Let's start at the top -why not?

Why not is because I had no experience at all with carpentry. I had made clothes for myself and others, I had knitted really complicated patterns, my cross-stitch was the envy of friends. But this was a different kettle of fish. I had no tools to speak of, an uncooperative husband, who in any case wasn't a carpenter, and a burning desire to make a dolls' house.

I went to the local friendly hardware store with my plans and explained myself. They were wonderful. I marked up the dimensions I wanted and for the price of the plywood, plus a teeny bit more, they cut my house for me. I bought a keyhole saw, for the window apertures, and a few little bits - tiny strips of prepared wood, sandpapers, glue, tiny screws, tiny hinges, one long piano hinge, a few small screwdrivers and a spirit level. Armed with all that and a lot of optimism I went home and made my dolls house.

I was immensely proud of it. I finished it with love, wallpapered the walls, made internal doors, painted the woodwork, including the skirting boards (something I would NEVER do now) and stood back and admired it. Then I made the furniture, using plans from a second book and copying some of my own furniture in 1/12 scale like the rest.

When it was finished - oh, maybe a year after I had started - I looked at it again and realised how bad it was! But I had learned the skills, and knew many little things that would carry me through the creation of the second, bigger and better house. And it WAS both bigger and better. When I saw how much better, I threw away my first attempt.

A station building (built from a photograph to my own plans) and a shop followed. Then I made just one house in 1/24 scale which was fun and quicker, but not so satisfying.

So there's the history - until manufacturers began making wonderful, fairly cheap dolls house kits. At first I felt it wold be cheating. When temptation overtook me I bought my first and quickly made it up. Oh,how easy it is to make up a kit. It's square, it's complete, all the little pieces you forget you're going to need are there. The kit is built in no time at all, leaving you more time to buy or make the furniture. By this time eBay was operating and wonderful stuff for the dolls house could be bought for very little money.

And then I decided to share this with others. I'm no genius, and I wanted to share my enthusiasm with other women. I had come to this with no formal training, and, with the advent of dolls' house kits, knew that none was needed. So I went into the business of finding out how to sell this idea on line. It has been a real educational journey, which continues. I am not there yet, but I know more and more each day. My website is up and running and now there are search engines to learn about.

What I do know is that women can build dolls' houses, and that they enjoy, no - love, doing it. I have a little group of people I know who share my joy of it. My grand-daughters both love the houses and the nine-year-old has built one with me. She became quite possessive about the colours we would decorate it in, and insisted on choosing the bedroom wallpaper. I bought a wonderful CD off someone clever on eBay, with which I can print my own flooring (which I do on matte photo paper) and wall coverings (ordinary paper works). So we have a wide choice of papers readily available on my pc and colour printer.

Bedding and cushions are fun little projects for us both, and I made (actually MADE) some people to go in the house. We have a father, a mother and one kid. (Oh, and lots of little babies who came on eBay). It isn't finished yet - well, the house is but the interior still lacks the odd thing, but I am already onto the next task, renovating an old house given me by a friend.

I have to confess, the storeroom is rather full. And I'm probably spending too much time on it. But what else would I be doing? I still go to the theatre, visit the family, play the piano, watch TV, read. Other times I work on the latest doll house project. And I wouldn't change any of it. Sometimes I forget the housework - you know, the real stuff. Who cares? I'm working on my dollhouses and having a wonderful time.

I am Dianna Moylan, in my mid-sixties, an ex-teacher who has fallen in love with dolls' houses. I live in a small house which is rapidly becoming swamped with doll house stuff. My site, http://www.diannadollhouses.co.uk is newly launched. I also sell on eBay. In addition to loving making dolls' houses I enjoy writing a lot and welcome this opportunity to have a say.

Getting Rid Of Horrible Attic Sm

No comments: